Villa La Angostura
Villa La Angostura is known as 'the garden of Patagonia'. This mountain village south of the mountains of the Neuquen province has gained its nickname thanks to delightful scenery, settled in a privileged natural pollution free environment without, in the heart of the Nahuel Huapi National Park lakes. It receives every year thousands of tourists and there are many confess feeling like being in the closest place to paradise they have ever known.
One of the most appealing sites of the area is the Cerro Bayo, located 9 km from Villa La Angostura. A 200 hectares ski resort active all year round thanks to a vast selection of activities. During winter, ski enthusiasts from all over the world gather to enjoy its 22 slopes coming in 4 different difficulty levels and 12 lifts. Snowboarders can enjoy great descents in large fascinating slopes, surrounded by spectacular views of Nahuel Huapi Lake.
Between June and late September, is a school-class resort where beginners can make their first descents, and the most advanced participate in clinics to improve their skills.
In summer, the Cerro Bayo resort organizes archery safaris, horseback riding, chairlift, recitals, concerts, parades, mountain bike and moto cross championships, climbing and archery tournaments. Attend its astronomical observatory is also a very interesting option because of the sheer clarity of the atmosphere that can be seen in this region and the high density of stars that can be observed
Walking along a 12 miles footpath, you reach the entrance of the Parque Nacional Los Arrayanes. Here begins one of the most fantastic places of Villa La Angostura. And this is literal, because they say that Walt Disney was inspired by the Myrtles Forest to create one of his films. This is the last myrtles forest in the world after the one of Japan. It is estimated that they are over 300 years and some are up to 25 meters high.
The Myrtle Forest walk will take you 3 hours by bike and 3 to 4 hours walking. While discovering this protected area you will be able to enjoy the Quetrihué Peninsula, with wonderful landscapes, made of forest and the Nahuel Huapi Lake.
The string of waterfalls in Villa La Angostura is a show on its own. From an ascending path through reeds, beech, colorful flowers and singing birds as background sound, you will reach the Inacayal waterfall, where you'll enjoy a 50 meters fall. From there you can bike the first part, a two hours circuit and continue the excursion by foot for another 30 minutes. The Rio Bonito cascade is also notable for its majesty: it has a 35 meters fall and drops to a valley of emerald green water on basaltic rocks. Near the Ñivinco waterfall, a 10 meters fall, there are four more waterfalls to see.
Other unmissable places in Villa La Angostura
- Siete Lagos: 110 km of forest, mountains and lakes of stunning beauty. There are spots for camping along the circuit which can be done by bike.
- Nahuel Huapi National Park: 750,000 hectares, 155 km. long, 75 km wide, 500 km of paths and 450 feet deep, make up a vast area of very high ecological and scenic value. During summer you can fish trout (fly fishing) in the famous river Correntoso, but with mandatory return to conserve the species. Hostelling International recommends you the Victoria Island, Puerto Blest and Mascardi Lake.
- Cajón Negro: A valley with streams of clear water ideal for walks.
- Coihue El Abuelo – Brazo Ultima Esperanza: One of the oldest trees in the Nahuel Huapi National Park. It takes 10 people to embrace his trunk. And retracing the same path, one reaches the Brazo Ultima Esperanza, a bay with a quiet beach.
- Laguna Verde - Selva Triste: Walk through this path surrounded by cypresses, coihues, myrtle and radales, a great variety of fish, shellfish, black-necked swans and lagoon birds, peace and quietness fills the privileged who visit.
- El Messidor: Small French-style chateau built in 1942. It is on the shore of Lake Nahuel Huapi and is the official residence of the provincial government
- Miradores de Qetrihué: These are trails located in the National Park Los Myrtles, leading to wonderful views of El Messidor, the arms of Nahuel Huapi Lake and nearby hills.
- Laguna Patagua: Walks on rocky beaches.